We currently organise Peak Raid 3 and Peak Raid MapRun events.
Peak Raid 3 events have a three hour time limit and a score format so you can make them as hard or as easy as you like. A specially produced colour map (approx. size A4) of the area with the checkpoints overprinted will be supplied at the start line. For each event there will be between 15 and 20 check points. Each checkpoint has a points value and they can be visited in any order. The aim is to collect as many points as possible within the time allowed. Each area is different so your strategy may need to change each time.
Peak Raid MapRun events can be completed at any time and use GPS location services on an Android or Apple phone. Watches capable of recording a track and producing a .gpx or .fit file can also be used. These events use the same format but have a time limit of two hours.
Pairs can enter all categories in Peak Raid 3 events, Peak Raid MapRun is solo entry only.
Age category entered is determined by the age of the eldest competitor in the pair.
Men’s categories are: Men Senior 18+, Male Veteran Over 40+, MVO50+, MVO60+
Women’s Categories are: Women Senior 18+, Women Veteran Over 40+, WVO50+, WVO60+
Mixed Pairs are: Senior 18+, Mixed Over 40+, Mixed Over 50+, Mixed Over 60+
Under 18 Pair: Where one of the two runners is under 18, the other runner must be over 21 and must also be the parent or guardian (or an accompanying adult over 21 appointed by the parent or guardian) of the junior runner. The minimum age for the junior runner is 14. It is the parent or guardian’s responsibility to ensure that this rule is adhered to.
A competitor’s age class is determined by their age at the start of the calendar year in which they reach
the given age. (Someone who is 50 on 21/10/2021 would be competing as M50 or W50 from 01/01/2021). For pairs, the age category is based upon the age of the oldest runner.
Rules and Kit Requirements
Time limits: Peak Raid 3 is three hours, Peak Raid MapRun is two hours – after which you lose points. So don’t be late!
Peak Raid MapRun the time penalty is -10 points per minute, or part of a minute.
Peak Raid 3 time penalty is: 1 to 5 mins – 2 points/minute lost; 6 to 10 mins – 5 points/minute lost; 11 to 20 minutes – 10 points/minute lost; After 20 minutes – All points lost.
For all events you MUST wear or carry the FRA Mandatory Minimum Kit of; waterproof whole body cover (with taped seams and integrated attached hood), hat, gloves, map of the route (provided), compass, whistle and emergency food. In addition you must also carry a survival bag. (Bag not blanket)
We reserve the right to insist on extra items of clothing being carried if the weather is poor. You should bring extra long sleeve tops and long leg cover with you. So depending on the weather we may ask you to also carry:
- Up to THREE extra upper body layers
- Long leg cover such as lycra bottoms and/or thick, thermal long bottoms
- A mobile phone
The Race Organiser will disqualify anyone who in their opinion does not meet the above equipment criteria. NOTE – this applies to ALL competitors! In the event of hot weather bring sun hat, sun cream and plenty of fluids!
Remember! Once started, if you are unable to complete the event you MUST either: telephone the organisers to inform them you are safe or report to the finish with your dibber. Failure to inform the organisers may mean we have to unnecessarily call out Mountain Rescue to look for you. Emergency contact numbers will be printed on your map.
The use of GPS devices or watches for navigation, measurement of distance or altitude is NOT allowed. Tracking on GPS watches for post race analysis is allowed.
Explorer Events Event Disclaimer and Terms and Conditions
I accept the following terms for my own entry. I also accept the terms on behalf of any other participants I am entering in this event, all of whom have been provided with a copy of these terms and accept them:
- I consent to publication of my name, club, race category, race number, finishing time and race position in race pre-entry and results lists.
- I accept the hazards inherent in fell running and acknowledge that I am entering and running this race at my own risk.
- I confirm that I am aware of the rules imposed on me by the Race Organiser and that I will comply with them. (See www.explorerevents.co.uk Peak Raid 3 rules). I also confirm that I will carry any additional kit that is required by the Race Organiser.
- I confirm that I have read and will comply with, the “FRA – Requirements for Runners” and I confirm that I will comply with the FRA Mandatory Minimum Kit of; waterproof whole-body cover (with taped seams and integrated attached hood), hat, gloves, map of the route (provided), compass, whistle and emergency food and in addition a survival bag (not a blanket).
- I acknowledge and agree that I am responsible for determining whether I have the skills, equipment and fitness to participate in this event. I accept that neither the Race Organiser nor the Fell Runners Association shall be liable to me for any injury, loss or damage
of any nature to me or my property arising out of my participation in this race (other than in respect of death or personal injury as a result of their negligence).
- I accept that the Race Organiser may use photographic or video equipment for the purpose of monitoring and publicity and I consent to the use of my image for such purposes.
- In the event of cancellation of an event all entries and fees will be transferred to a re-scheduled date, OR if requested, we will refund 75% of the entry fee. For all other circumstances, entry fees are non-refundable.
- Age category is determined by your age on the 01/01/20120 For pairs, the age category is based upon the age of the oldest runner.
Sport Ident Cards can be hired at a cost of £2.50 per event. Lost or damaged SI Cards will result in a replacement charge of £40.
Minimum age for solo entry is 18 years old on the day of the event, or 14 years old if partnered by their parent or a guardian who is aged 21 years or more.